Friday, June 8, 2012

Quiz Make Up #2


Art 21 Video Clip - Cindy Sherman

Cindy Sherman was an artist I had difficulty understanding. Her work was a major display at the MoMa.  Many people seemed mesmerized by her photographs and oversized portraits. Walking through her exhibit, did not impress me. The moment her name came up in the Art 21 series, I had to click and learn more.  

 It was interesting to learn that even as a young child, Cindy Sherman loved photographs and circled herself in every single one. Upon graduating from college, she decided to experience this all over again. Fascinated by photography and dressing up, she began to take many pictures of herself. I can artistically recognize is that Cindy Sherman can take on the role of anyone and literally transform herself. In my opinion she combines art, photography and theater.

Many, including myself, have criticized her work. The feeling many have is that she is ridiculing others, particularly women. Some of her portraits are a bit “over the top” to say the very least. However, she makes it clear that she was simply experimenting and her intention was not to poke fun at anyone. This made me respect Cindy Sherman. I saw a humbleness to her personality.

While she is not my favorite artist, I do like her still photography. She makes mention that they can symbolize something entirely different to everyone looking at them. For our final project, I included two pieces from that collection because they inspired emotion. It is artistic how she can communicate in one photograph emotions that can be interpreted in so many different ways…for that alone I can now admire her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment