Sunday, April 29, 2012

Field Trip 2


MoMa PS 1: The Good, the Bad and the Misunderstood

            I had never visited the MoMa PS 1 in Long Island City, Queens and it was quite an experience. This institution portrays the art work of younger and living artists. You were able to see how much credit and respect is given to these artists by simply walking the hallways and in small talk with the staff. They would ask you what your thoughts were, if you took a photograph indeed very warm and welcoming.

The museum made me look at art through a different lens. This was my very first time at this museum and I did not know what to expect. My first stop was at the “Frances Stark: My Best Thing” exhibit. Art is a big umbrella under which paintings, sculptures, performing, theater, film and much more falls into. The exhibit was a color video on a soap opera which ran for about 90 minutes and was broken into episodes. The video had adult language and content which as an adult was fine, however I did not feel there was a point to the video. After episode 4 I left the exhibit and did not like it at all. The idea by the artist was to show online relationships and almost like a “darker” side to online chatting. Up to that part, I was onboard with her, but then it became a bit raunchy and lost my appreciation. If could have fast forwarded to the last two episodes I would have just to see where this was going. Many people left after episode two and what I did notice was the moment people would stand up to leave was during a scene with vulgarity or a sexual reference; almost as if embarrassed to be seen watching the video. I felt funny staying until the fourth episode and mind you, we are in 2012. This exhibit was definitely the bad for me.

Next I visited “Janet Cardiff; The Forty Part Motet” exhibit. This was a rework of “Spem in Allium” by Thomas Tallis from the year 1573. As I turned into the room, I was simply taken back. Perhaps because it was a rainy Friday afternoon or the amount of light that entered the room truly enhanced this exhibit making it breathtaking. The room had forty speakers in eight groups of five perfectly spaced out with a few small benches to sit in the center. The artist spaced everything out with perfection in mind. The music was so beautiful and when I first walked by I thought some speakers were not working, yet they all were. You felt there was a connection of voices within the speakers, almost like listening to a choir. Being in the room gave you such peace, needless to say this was art at its best and I loved it.

The last exhibit which left me with a unique impression was “Darren Bader: Images”. I must say that reading Darren Bader’s introduction made me feel as if I had met him personally; it was very humble and honest. I walked into his first exhibit knowing I would run out because of my severe allergy to cats, yet his message was very nice. The exhibit was set up to look like a small living room with a couch in the middle and two cats walking around. The artist was given permission to bring in three cats at a time and have them be open to adoption. The first three were all adopted and now the new batch of three was left with two. I had no idea how many cats and dogs were euthanized by the city and it was very sad. His next exhibit is where my confusion began. There was an iguana in the middle of the room, a croissant on the floor and an old pizza in an oven. There wasn’t any explanation anywhere of what this was and everyone walked out with the same expression. I wish I could have asked the artist what this meant; I am almost tempted to email him.

All in all, my first blog of good art vs. bad art came into mind and my feelings towards art are the same.  I am happy to be visiting different museums and exhibits and hope to continue doing so.

Frances Stark: My Best Thing
American, b. 1967
Video (color sound) 99:17 2011

Janet Cardiff: The Forty Part Motet 2001

Darren Bader: Images (I didn't see any specific titles)

No comments:

Post a Comment